Filing Property Exemptions For Indianapolis, Beechgrove, Lawrence & Speedway
What To Do Before the last business day in December
Start the process by confirming the newly purchased property is showing in your name vs the prior owner. Marion County gives you the ability to search for what exemptions that exist online here. If after you search you don't see your name as the owner then this typically will require a call to the auditor's office (see offices tab.) Again, If the exemptions are not in your name, Don't have a date filed that's in the current year AFTER you either purchased or changed the ownership of the property, then you must file a new exemption to be safe that your real estate taxes in the next bill will not be twice what they should be!
If you live in Marion County AND You found the property is already in your name then... from the page that showed which if any exemptions are in place then you can submit the most common exemptions by clicking on the appropriate button. I would encourage you to complete the application online, but you may also complete it in person or by mail. The Auditor's Real Estate office is open from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. You can reach a customer service representative by calling (317) 327-4646.
In order to submit the form online you must have the following before you access the application:
- A personal email address.
- Acrobat Reader 4.05 or higher. (Acrobat Reader is available for free from the Adobe website.)
- You will not be able to submit the form if you are using Netscape 6 as your web browser. (Acrobat Reader is not compatible with Netscape 6.)
- You will need a copy of the most recent tax invoice/receipt that you received in the mail. If you can’t find that then please call me ASAP and I can give you the tax id info that you will need for the form.
- You will also want to have a copy of your driver’s license available
NOTE: Within 24 hours of submitting the form, you will receive an email confirmation. You must reply to this email in order to complete the process. Instructions on how to reply will be included in the email. If you do not receive a confirmation message, please call 327-4646. Save your confirmation email with your other important documents as a receipt and proof of your application submission
Marion County Auditor’s Downtown Office
200 E. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Hours: 8:00-4:30 (M-F)
The Homestead Exemption:
Remember that taxes paid this year are actually for the prior year and taxes that relate to this year will actually be paid next year.
If you bought an existing home and the seller had a homestead exemption in place as of March 1, in the year you bought it, then the exemption should AUTOMATICALLY carry forward and be a deduction for this year’s taxes, payable next year.
Still, To play it safe be sure to file for the exemption no later than the last business day in December. You can easily complete this process in about 10 minutes online. This is the Link to complete the form and submit it online.
At the bottom of the form, there is a submit button. Before submitting the form please print out a copy for your records. After you submit the form you will get a confirmation email acknowledging that you filed it. Typically this email will come instantly but if you have not received it within 24 hours you MUST call the number at the bottom of the form.
NOTE: Once you receive the confirmation email you will need to open the email and reply to the sender’s address to complete this process
You should also print a copy of the email that you received for your records and to be completely safe you should also print out a copy of the email that you sent back and store both in a safe place. If the exemption does not show up on your next tax bill you will need to show the form along with the emails.
If you want to print out a hardcopy of the blank form to take to the office in person you can print that form here
Mortgage Exemptions - BEGINNING IN 2023, THE STATE OF INDIANA HAS ELIMINATED THE MORTGAGE DEDUCTION FROM PROPERTY TAX BILLS. THE $3,000.00 MORTGAGE DEDUCTION HAS BEEN ROLLED INTO THE HOMESTEAD DEDUCTION FOR ALL FUTURE TAX CALCULATIONS.
- Download the Indiana Property Tax Benefits Recap – The most commonis Homestead but you can learn about other potential exemptions here
- Download the Disabled Person Deduction Form
- Download the Geothermal, Solar, Wind, or Hydroelectric Deduction Form
- Download the Homestead Deduction Form
- Download the Rehabilitated Property Deduction Form
- Download the Historical Rehabilitated Property Deduction Form
- Marion County owners can Complete On-Line The Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit Form For other counties you can download the Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit Form here
- Download the Veteran Deductions Form
Homestead Credit & Homestead Standard/Supplemental Deductions
- Download the Homestead Deduction Form
- Download the Homestead Standard Deduction and Other Deductions Frequently Asked Questions – Revised November 1, 2018
Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit
- Download the Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit Form
- Download the Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit Frequently Asked Questions